On 22 December 2021, the Central Bank of the Republic of Uzbekistan started issuing new, upgraded banknotes in denominations of 50,000 Sum and 100,000 Sum. This follows the release of new 2,000 Sum and 20,000 Sum notes in June and 5,000 and 10,000 Sum notes in August of this year. This completes the introduction of the 2021 Series of banknotes.
Upgraded 50,000 Sum and 100,000 Sum Notes
The newest banknotes are printed on security paper, but with some security upgrades from the previous issues. The visual design of all notes in the 2021 series pays homage to the Great Silk Road and the ancient history of the Surkhandarya and Khorezm regions.
Both the 50,000 Sum and 100,000 banknotes are printed on cotton banknote paper; both front and back sides are coated with a special varnish. The 100,000 Sum note measures 152 x 69 mm, and the dimensions of the 50,000 note are 147 x 69 mm.
Cutting-edge Security features
Both the 50,000 Sum and 100,000 Sum note have been upgraded with cutting-edge security features.
Special security features of the 100,000 Sum note include:
- It is the first banknote with Louisenthals new RollingStar® i+ thread. The 4 mm thread, using the RollingStar® i+ Wave with ColourShift (from gold to green), uses micromirror technology. It contains customized clear text by the Central Bank of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
- An ornament applied by SICPA SPARK® Live.
The 50,000 Sum note also has several new security features, including:
- A 3mm metallized, machine-readable, blue-green color-changing Ignite® security thread with DRIVE Effect by De La Rue.
- In the lower part of the banknote, the ornamental background contains the abbreviation “UZ” as a latent (hidden) image, visible when the banknote is tilted at certain angle.
- An image of a flying dove (a symbol of peace) applied by SICPA SPARK® Live.
Previous issue banknotes of 50,000 sum and 100,000 sum in circulation will be accepted at face value by all businesses without any restrictions.
Central Bank of the Republic of Uzbekistan
Banknote Industry News
The Keesing Platform team brings you the latest in various fields, including security documents, security printing, banknotes, identity management, biometrics, blockchain, crypto technology and online onboarding.