The United Arab Emirates Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Ports Security has announced that the new generation Emirati Passport will be issued beginning 1 September 2022.
The new passport joins the UAE’s new national ID card (launched in June 2021) within the “framework of achieving the strategic objectives of the authority to support the National goals in enhancing the international competitiveness of the UAE.”
The Emirates passport was last redesigned in 2011. Viewed from the outside, the shape and color of the new generation passport appear the same as the previous version. However, the inside of the new passport is completely modernized when compared to the previous version. The new generation passport incorporates state-of-the-art technical characteristics and complex security specifications to help reduce document forgery or falsification.
Modernized design and security features
The identification (or data) page is made of durable polycarbonate instead of paper, allowing for:
- Laser-printed personal photo with “highly complex multispectral, high-security features”
- A holographic logo integrated with advanced features
- Advanced 3D intaglio printing and security marks
- Laser technologies and 3D elements
- A high-precision security thread for enhanced security
- A transparent window bearing the state’s logo with “unique artistic elements and decorative inscriptions.”
Transition to the new generation passport
Previously issued UAE passports shall remain valid until their expiration date. There is no change to the number of years a passport is valid.
UAE Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs and Ports Security
The Keesing Platform team brings you the latest in various fields, including security documents, security printing, banknotes, identity management, biometrics, blockchain, crypto technology and online onboarding.