On 13 December 2020, the Central Bank of Qatar (QCB) announced that the new Qatari Riyal banknotes will go into circulation as of Friday, December 18, 2020.
The new banknotes have a common theme based on traditional geometric patterns, the flag of Qatar, the flora of Qatari (Dreama) and an orange gate representing the historical architecture of Qatari.
A new denomination is also introduced, QR200.
On this bill stands the Palace of Sheikh Abdullah bin Jassim Al Thani, Qatar National Museum and Museum of Islamic Art.
The new series of Qatari Riyal banknotes contain the following details:
- All denominations have a new design with extra features.
- The front sides of the new banknotes have a theme based on traditional geometric patterns, the flag of Qatar, the flora of Qatari (Dreama) and an orange gate representing the historical architecture of Qatari.
- The backsides contain themes that reflect the tradition of Qatari, Islamic history, culture, flora and fauna and the development of education, sport and the economy.
- The new bills will have 64 security specifications.
QR1 shows Traditional Dhow (Bateel) and the Oyster and Pearl Monument.
QR5 shows the traditional desert image, consisting of fauna (Arabian horses, camel, oryxes), flora (Al Qataf) and ‘hair tent (buryuut hajar)’.
QR10 shows Lusail Stadium, Torch Tower (Aspire Zone), Sidra Medicine and Education City (Qatar Foundation).
QR 50 shows the building of the Central Bank of Qatar and the building of the Ministry of Finance.
QR100 Abu Al Qubaib Mosque
QR 200 shows photos of the Palace of Sheikh Abdullah bin Jassim Al Thani, Qatar National Museum and Museum of Islamic Art.
QR500 shows Ras Laffan LNG refinery and LNG carrier
The QCB official said the old banknotes will remain valid over the next three months.
These old banknotes can be exchanged via the local banks and after that for ten years via the central bank of Qatar.
Security features of the new bills:
1) Each security thread shows the value of the denomination.
2) The figures and horizontal line prints are increased for the blind and visually impaired.
3) When you lift the banknote up to the light to see the incomplete shapes on the front and back of the bill, together they form the value of the banknote.
4) Lift the banknote up to the light to see the watermark of the State of Qatar Crest and the denomination figures.
5) Tilt the banknote and see the changes in the appearance of the hologram.
6) Tilt the banknote and see the changes in the appearance of the security thread.
7) Tilt the banknote to see that the Dreama flower on the gate changes color and that a bright circle inside the flower moves.
The Keesing Platform team brings you the latest in various fields, including security documents, security printing, banknotes, identity management, biometrics, blockchain, crypto technology and online onboarding.