The Central Bank of the Dominican Republic (BCRD) entered an updated DOP 1,000 banknote (series 2020) into circulation on September 13, 2021. This banknote contains the same security features as the prior version currently in circulation. However, the newly-issued note has an upgraded security thread.
New and unchanged security features
The redesigned thread of the 1,000 pesos dominicanos note is visible on the front of the note, and the colour and dynamism is coordinated with the SPARK® feature. The main security features of the note are:
- A vertical, 4mm RollingStar® security thread by The security thread changes from blue to green, in a droplet effect that appears as undulating sand.
Other security features:
- Optically Variable Magnetic Ink (SICPA SPARK® Live) with the Sandune effect, which is used in the printing of the Isotype of the BCRD accompanied by the value of the denomination in numerical characters. Note: The security thread and OVMI have the same colour (switch) effect and are thus colour-coordinated with each other. They also share the same dynamic effect.
- The tactile mark for the visually-impaired stands as a geometric figure in high relief on the edge of the upper left corner.
- Microprinting in very small letters looks like a solid line to the naked eye but can be seen through a magnifying glass or lens.
- The year of printing (manufacture) is located at the bottom of the face of the banknote to identify the series (2020) to which it belongs.
- Within the watermark, you can see the image of the patrician Juan Pablo Duarte when the banknote is exposed to light. The denomination value “1,000” also becomes visible, vertically and to the right of the portrait. Behind Duarte’s image, you can see a curve or ‘S’, made up of a set of points or pixels.
The versions of the DOP 1,000 note that were in circulation prior to issuance of the updated note maintain their value as currency.