In China, more than 56 million people have been prevented from travelling in an attempt to curb the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
Al Jazeera reports people from almost 20 cities, including Wuhan – where the virus was first detected – have been prevented from travelling.
Many travel restrictions have been put in place in an attempt to control the virus.
Hong Kong announced it is closing its border crossings with mainland China.
According to CNN, Hong Kong is also reducing the number of tourist visas it issues to visitors from mainland China and decreasing the number of inbound flights from the mainland.
The Philippines also announced it will temporarily suspend issuing visas upon arrival for Chinese nationals.
According to reports, the death toll now stands at 106.
China’s National Health Commission says the number of confirmed cases is 4,515.
According to the New York Times:
- Thailand has reported 14 cases of infection;
- Hong Kong has eight;
- the United States, Taiwan, Australia and Macau have five each;
- Singapore, Japan, South Korea and Malaysia each have reported four;
- France has three;
- Canada and Vietnam have two; and
- Nepal, Cambodia and Germany each have one.
Join the conversation. Join our LinkedIn Group.