Angola’s new kwanza banknotes will go into circulation in the first half of the year.
The Bank of Angola (BNA) says recommendations were made to improve the image of Agostinho Neto – first president of the Southern African country – on the notes.
The new notes will no longer feature the image of former president José Eduardo dos Santos.
Banknotestreet reports that the introduction of the new notes – called 2020 series – will be gradual and the new notes – of values from 200, 500, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, and 10,000 kwanzas – have images depicting the Southern African nation’s natural wonders on them.
The natural wonders on the denominations are:
- Pedras Negras de Pungo a Ndongo (200 kwanza)
- Fenda de Tundavala (500 kwanza)
- Cordillera of the Central Plateau (1,000 kwanza)
- Serra da Leba (2,000 kwanza)
- Ruins of the Cathedral of Sao Salvador do Congo (5,000 kwanza)
- Caves of Zenzo (10,000 kwanza)